We’ve all been there. You walk into the gym, determined to do your 30 minutes of elliptical machine, followed by 30 minutes of weights. And two minutes into your workout–BAM!–the Motivation Train has left the station.
What do you do to keep up your workout and make it worth your while? How do you come back from that kind of crash?
Here are some tips on how to keep up the motivation, get a killer workout, and leave the gym feeling happy, healthy, and refreshed!
- Change up the tunes. If you normally listen to music, turn it off. Eves-drop on the lady next to you, or the people on the treadmills behind you. If you don’t normally listen to music, now may be the time to turn it on. I’ve been known to put a movie on my phone and watch that! Running while watching The A-Team? You’d be surprised how motivating it is looking at Bradley Cooper… just sayin.
- Remind yourself of why you’re there. You did actually make it into the gym, you started to workout. You must have had a reason to be there, otherwise you would have kept on driving straight home. Be honest with yourself. You want results? Dig deep and focus on them. If focusing on your goal doesn’t give you motivation to reach for it, you may need to rethink your goals…
- Change up your workout! You’ve focused so much on to what you’re going to do, you might have zapped the fun right out of it. Is there a Zumba class going on while you’re there? Or that Boot Camp that you’ve been afraid to try? Do something NEW! If it’s trying the assisted pull-up machine, trying a new class, or simply switching “leg day” to a different day, do something different!
- Call a friend. Tell ’em, “Oh. Emm. Gee. This treadmill is killing me right now! Help! Distract me!” Or, “I’m losing steam! Mayday! Mayday! My workout is going down in flames! Come quick!” [these may or may not be actual transcripts from my phone calls…] Having someone who knows you helping you in the moment will greatly increase your chance of finishing your workout in a good mood. 😉
- And last, but not least: Let the treadmill win. You heard me. Take the day off. Your motivation slump may be your body telling you that it needs a break. Ask yourself when the last full day off you had. Been a few days? Take a break. Say “You win, elliptical. But tomorrow, you better run and hide; I’m comin for ya!”
What’s your favorite way to whip out a workout when you lose motivation?